Skip to main content
These instructions are designed to assist the Physician Assistant class starting in May 2017 set up their iPads.
1. Emergency Contact Information
- Complete this form to provide emergency contact information.
2. Name your iPad
Your iPad came with a generic name, but you will want to personalize the name.
- On your iPad, access Settings then select General.
- Select About and then select Name.
- Provide your name.
3. Google Account
Your Google apps including the Calendar, GW Mail, and Drive will automatically configured. Additional information coming soon...
4. Cisco AnyConnect
About this app: The Cisco AnyConnect client allows secure remote access to GW systems including Himmelfarb Library resources. The Cisco AnyConnect client allows any installed application to communicate as though connected directly to GW. AnyConnect for iOS is similar to AnyConnect for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
When you'll use it: AnyConnect VPN will be used to connect to Himmelfarb Library's online collections from off-campus locations.
Open the AnyConnect app on your iPad.
Tap OK to allow AnyConnect to extend your VPN features.
Tap Connections and choose Add VPN Connection.
Enter the following information in the form that appears:
Server Address: go.vpn.gwu.edu
Tap Save to save the connection.
Move the slider to the right next to AnyConnect VPN to start a connection.
Enter your GW NetID and password and tap Connect to connect to the GWU VPN network.
To connect to the VPN in the future, you must open the AnyConnect application and login using your GW NetID and password.
5. WePA (Printing)
About this app: WePA (We Print Anywhere) is the app for the Colonials Printing system at GW. Colonials Printing/WePA is a cloud-based printing system which allows you to submit a print job from any location on campus, including from your iPad, and pick up the print job at any location. Print kiosks are available at Himmelfarb Library (1st and 3rd floors) as well as at other campus locations. Colonials Printing/WePA provides black and white ($0.06 per page or side) as well as color printing ($0.85 per page or side). You may pay with your GWorld Card, credit card (a $0.40 transaction fee is applied), or funds deposited into your Colonials Printing/WePa account.
When you will use it: if you want to print any course materials or other documents while you are at GW.
- Open the WePA app and swipe left through the tutorial.
- Select The George Washington University. Hint: GW is listed in the T section under 'The'.
- Login with your GW NetID and password; this is the same login/password used for GWMail and Blackboard.
About this app: Panopto is an app which permits access to videos of lectures from you iPad.
When you'll use it: to view the recording of a class either because you missed it or for review purposes.
- Access the Pantopto app
- Set up the address: smhsgwu.hosted.panopto.com
- Next to Account choose Blackboard
- Login with your GW NetID/password.
- Search for Sample Recorded PPT and then play an example video.
About this app: PollEverywhere is an audience response app used to respond to surveys and questions live during class
When you will use it: to participate in sessions and respond to questions during class.
- Open the Poll Everywhere app.
- Tap the I’m participating button.
- Tap the Log in button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Enter your GWU email address as the Username and your GWID number beginning with the capital G as your password, then tap Log In.
- In Class: Look for your instructor's username on the slide to join each Poll Everywhere session during class. Enter the instructor's username in the PollEv.com/ field and click the Join button to participate in polls.
About this app: Lexicomp is a comprehensive clinical drug information app including Lexi-Drugs and Lexi-Interact. Lexicomp is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to look up specific drugs; to identify possible drug interactions; to identify visually identify drugs.
- Access Lexi-Comp and select the right-hand menu for Mobile App Access.
- Select the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad platform and that you are a new customer; copy the authorization code displayed in red. You can copy directly from your iPad by holding your finger on the code and selecting copy from the pop-up menu.
- Create a personal Lexicomp account then login to your Lexicomp account.
- Under Add a Subscription by Code, paste or type the Lexicomp authorization code. To paste, hold your finger in the desired location and choose Paste from the pop-up menu.
- On your iPad, open Lexicomp and login with your Lexicomp login/password; Lexicomp content will automatically load to your iPad.
9. DynaMed Plus
About this app: DynaMed Plus is a point-of-care information resource which includes drug and disease information. DynaMed Plus contains more topics than Epocrates Essentials and also provides more detail on clinical interventions and the quality of evidence for that information. DynaMed Plus is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it:
- Access DynaMed Plus, then click on 'Get the DynaMed Plus Mobile App' in the left hand menu and enter your email address.
- On your iPad, open the DynaMed Plus email message and click on the authentication key to activate your app. Note: you can use the same email to activate DynaMed Plus on up to three devices; the emailed authentication key is good for 48 hours.
About this app: Clinical information tool searches extensive full-text holdings for clinical answers in journal articles, books, and videos. Searchable by keyword as well as disease, finding, procedure or drug. ClinicalKey is a web app so will not download information to your iPad but provides an app interface for ClinicalKey.
When you will use it: to clinical and educational information including full-text book chapters.
Access ClinicalKey and register for a personal login/password.
On your iPad, open ClinicalKey app and login with your ClinicalKey login/password. Note: Logging into your ClinicalKey account every three months will keep your ClinicalKey app connected.
About this app: Clinical reference tools including Quick Medical Diagnosis & Treatment, Fitzpatrick's Clinical Dermatology, Diagnosaurus 2.0, and Pocket Guide to Diagnostics Tests.
When you will use it: to find concise clinical information on diagnosis and treatment, diagnostic tests, and dermatology information.
- Access AccessMedicine and click in the right-hand menu to create a free personal My Access account.
- On your iPad, open AccessMedicine and login with your My Access account login/password; your AccessMedicine app will automatically load the current app content. Tip: for continuous access to the app, sign in to AccessMedicine's web platform using your My Access account at least once every 90 days using either on- or off-campus access to the library's institutional account.
About this app: Browzine is a bookshelf app which allows you to select your favorite full-text journals from Himmelfarb Library's online collections to scan issues and read or save articles. Browzine is designed to help you keep up with your favorite journals and stay up to date in your field.
When you will use it: This app is designed to help you stay uptodate on information in your field and can be customized to mirror your specific interests.
- On your iPad, open the Browzine app and then select 'Settings' and choose George Washington University – Himmelfarb Library.
- A login screen will display automatically; enter your GW NetID and password - i.e. the same login/password used for GWMail and Blackboard.
- Create a Browzine account.
- Select BrowZine Library and then Titles A-Z.
- Locate Physical Therapy and the Journal of Orthopaedic &Sports Physical Therapy; add each of these journals to your Bookshelf. You may also add additional titles of interest to you to your Browzine Bookshelf.
13. Pediatric Care Online
About this app: PCO is the app version of Pediatric Care Online, the American Academy of Pediatrics' clinical information system. The app installs quick reference clinical articles, well-child resources (Bright Futures guides, interactive periodicity schedule, and preventive services guide), drug lookup and antimicrobial therapy guide, and the Red Book including its visual library. Additional AAP textbooks, policies, algorithms, calculators, forms, videos, etc. are available via the app for users with a live web connection. PCO/Pediatric Care Online is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: Pediatrics section of clinical reference course.
- Access Pediatric Care Online then create personal account and make a note of your AAP number.
- Access Pediatric Care Online again and login using the login/password or AAP number/password which you just created.
- On your device, access the PCO app and login using your AAP number and password.