Skip to main content
These instructions are designed to assist 1st year medical students with setting up their iPads.
Himmelfarb App Shelf
Himmelfarb Library's App Shelf provides information on the library's app collection including instructions for connecting these apps to the Library's institutional subscription in order to access premium app content.
The App Shelf provides information on additional Information Apps for specialty content (Pediatric Care Online, Psychiatry Online, etc.) as well as Productivity Apps.
1. Name your iPad
Your iPad came with a generic name, but you will want to personalize the name.
- On your iPad, access Settings then select General.
- Select About and then select Name.
- Provide your name.
About this app: The curricular course calendar is a Google calendar that can be added to your iPad. You will receive the calendar address to add via email; after you have added the calendar to your Google account, you can use these instructions to synchronize the calendar to your iPad and any other iOS devices. If you haven't received the calendar link yet, please skip this step and return to it after you have access to the calendar.
When you'll use it: daily in order to know when and where your classes will occur.
- On your iPad, open Safari then login to your GW Email.
- Access this website: http://m.google.com/sync/settings
- Select your mobile device from the list that appears.
- Check off the calendars that you would like to make available on your iPad and click Save.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 for additional mobile devices.
3. Cisco AnyConnect
About this app: The Cisco AnyConnect client allows secure remote access to GW systems including Himmelfarb Library resources. The Cisco AnyConnect client allows any installed application to communicate as though connected directly to GW. AnyConnect for iOS is similar to AnyConnect for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
When you'll use it: AnyConnect VPN can be used to connect to Himmelfarb Library's online collections from off-campus locations; you don't need to use AnyConnect VPN when you are on-campus..
Open the AnyConnect app on your iPad.
Tap OK to allow AnyConnect to extend your VPN features.
Tap Connections and choose Add VPN Connection.
Enter the following information in the form that appears:
Server Address: go.vpn.gwu.edu
Tap Save to save the connection.
Move the slider to the right next to AnyConnect VPN to start a connection.
Enter your NetID and password and tap Connect to connect to the GWU VPN network.
To connect to the VPN in the future, you must open the AnyConnect application and login to the GWU VPN network.
4. WePA (Printing)
About this app: WePA (We Print Anywhere) is the printing system at GW. WePA is a cloud-based printing system which allows you to submit a print job from any location on campus, including from your iPad, and pick up the print job at any location. Print kiosks are available at Himmelfarb Library (1st and 3rd floors) as well as at other campus locations. WePA provides black and white ($0.07 per page or side) as well as color printing ($0.85 per page or side). You may pay with your GWorld Card, credit card (a $0.40 transaction fee is applied), or funds deposited into your WEPA account.
When you will use it: if you want to print any course materials or other documents while you are at GW.
- Open the WePA app and swipe left through the tutorial.
- Select The George Washington University. Hint: GW is listed in the T section under 'The'.
- Login with your GW NetID and password; this is the same login/password used for GWMail and Blackboard.
5. Poll Everywhere
About this app: PollEverywhere is an audience response app used to respond to surveys and questions live during class
When you will use it: to participate in sessions and respond to questions during class.
- Open the Poll Everywhere app.
- Tap the I’m participating button.
- Tap the Log in button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Enter your GWU email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) as the Username and your GWID number beginning with the capital G as your password, then tap Log In.
- In Class: Look for your instructor's username on the slide to join each Poll Everywhere session during class. Enter the instructor's username in the PollEv.com/ field and click the Join button to participate in polls.
6. Google Drive
About this app: Google Drive provides you access to the document storage portion of your GMail accounts including your GWmail account.
When you will use it: secure storage for documents; can be used to back-up documents from selected apps on your iPad .
- Access settings then select Add Account.
- Use your NetID@gwmail.gwu.edu as the username and tap Sign in; you don't need to enter the password on this screen.
- On the GW login screen, enter both your NetID and Password then click Sign-on.
About this app: Panopto is an app which permits access to videos of lectures from you iPad.
When you'll use it: to view the recording of a class either because you missed it or for review purposes.
- Access the Pantopto app
- Set up the address: smhsgwu.hosted.panopto.com
- Next to Account choose Blackboard
- Login with your Blackboard login/password.
8. Aperio ePathViewer
Aperio ePathViewer is an online database of Pathology and Histology slides that you will be using with cases in your basic sciences courses.
- Open Aperio ePath Viewer.
- Click the Add Site button at the bottom left side of the screen.
- Type in gwu.slidehosting.com and press return to verify the site appears.
- Click the + button next to the site address.
- Type a name for the Bookmark (i.e. GWU SlideHosting).
- Press the Save button on the right.
- Click OK and the new Website appears at the bottom of the list.
- Access with login=GWSMHS and password=Ross
About this app: ExamSoft is an assessement and testing platform used in GW's MD curriculum.
- Go to http://www.examsoft.com/gwumed and read the information there, then log in under Exam Takers using the StudentID and password emailed to you.
- On your iPad, launch SofTest-M and follow the instructions for the One-Time iPad Set-Up:
- Navigate to Settings on iPad and then to Privacy.
- Select Photos, and turn on SofTest-M™.
- Next, in the General section, select Accessibility,
- Turn on Guided Access and select Passcode Settings. Set a 6-digit Guided Access Passcode you can easily remember such as 123456.
- Make sure the Accessibility Shortcut is enabled.
- Once you have reviewed the SofTest-M instructions, press the Done button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Enter our Institution ID: gwumed and click the Submit button.
- Login using your StudentID and password and press Yes for the First Time Registration.
- Tap I Agree to the End User License Agreement presented.
- Download the Introduction to SofTest quiz. Note: you don't need to take the exam yet, just download it!
About this app: Lexicomp is a comprehensive clinical drug information app including Lexi-Drugs and Lexi-Interact. Lexicomp is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to look up specific drugs; to identify possible drug interactions; to identify visually identify drugs.
- Access Lexi-Comp and select the right-hand menu for Mobile App Access.
- Select the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad platform and that you are a new customer; copy the authorization code displayed in red. You can copy directly from your iPad by holding your finger on the code and selecting copy from the pop-up menu.
- Create a personal Lexicomp account then login to your Lexicomp account.
- Under Add a Subscription by Code, paste or type the Lexicomp authorization code. To paste, hold your finger in the desired location and choose Paste from the pop-up menu.
- On your iPad, open Lexicomp and login with your Lexicomp login/password; Lexicomp content will automatically load to your iPad.
11. DynaMed Plus
About this app: DynaMed Plus is a point-of-care information resource which includes drug and disease information. DynaMed Plus contains more topics than Epocrates Essentials or FirstConsult and also provides more detail on clinical interventions and the quality of evidence for that information. DynaMed Plus is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to find evidence-based information on specific conditions including diagnostic approaches
- Access DynaMed Plus then click on Get the DynaMed Plus Mobile App in the left-hand menu and enter your email address.
- On your iPad, open the DynaMed Plus email message and click on the authentication key link to activate your app. Note: you can use the same email to active DynaMed Plus on up to three devices; the emailed authentication key is good for 48 hours.