Skip to main content
Health Information @ Himmelfarb
Get help at the Reference Desk, 1st floor, Himmelfarb Library.
Reference Desk Phone:
Circulation Desk Phone:
(202) 994-2962 (open 24 hours)
Health Information @ Himmelfarb
During 2017-2018, the three GW University libraries have worked together to implement new management and discovery systems. The new systems provides access to collections and library resources available to the GW community at large and can also search the collections of the Washington Research Libraries Consortium (i.e. Georgetown University, American University, Catholic University, etc.).
One major change to library systems at GW is that all patrons have been assigned to a home library. If you are in the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Milken Institute School of Public Health, or the School of Nursing, your home library is the Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library.
What does this mean for you?
Do I need to login to Health Information @ Himmelfarb to get access to all materials?
- From on-campus locations, you will see all available search results without logging in.
- From off-campus locations, most search results are displayed regardless of login. However, Scopus search results are displayed for on-campus and logged-in users exclusively.
Why should I login to Health Information @ Himmelfarb?
- To see what library items you have checked out and renew them.
- To submit requests for document delivery including Documents2Go and CLS requests. Note: Himmelfarb Library is in the process of activating the Consortium Loan Service and so will process requests via Documents2Go at no charge in the interim.
- To see results that include Scopus records when searching from off-campus locations.
Can I still use the Gelman Library?
- Online materials: yes. Himmelfarb Library users can still search the Gelman Library collection and access Gelman Library electronic full-text articles and books - and vice versa. You do not need to login to the search tool to access online books and journal articles.
- Print/physical materials: yes. Himmelfarb users can also obtain holdings and call number location for items in Gelman's Library's print and physical collection, and will be able to check these materials out at the Gelman Library Circulation Desk.
- WRLC holdings: no, but you may request these materials via Himmelfarb Library. For materials owned by WRLC libraries, users will see the 'Check for available services' label along with a login request. To request these materials, users must submit the request from Health Information @ Himmelfarb. Himmelfarb Library is in the process of activating the Consortium Loan Service and so will process requests via Documents2Go at no charge in the interim.
I'm a MISPH undergraduate student - should I use Himmelfarb Library or Gelman Library?
You may use either (or both!) libraries to access online books and journal articles. To see your account information including checkouts and place document delivery and Consortium Loan Service requests, you should login to your home library:
- For undergraduate students who have declared a public health major, Himmelfarb Library will be your 'home' library and you will be able to login to the Health Information @ Himmelfarb search tool.
- For undergraduate students taking a public health course without declaring a public major, Gelman Library will be your 'home' library and you will be able to login to the search tool on the Gelman Library webpage.
How do I sign in?
- Access Himmelfarb Library and then enter a search in the Health Information @ Himmelfarb search box or go directly to http://himmelfarb.gwu.edu/catalog/.
- Click on Sign In in the upper right corner of the Health Information @ Himmelfarb screen.
- Enter your GW NetID (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.